Get used to a lot of playoff talk this month, I also crown the 2015 MVP
- Right when I think I may have the NFC East figured out, one of the team misses a field goal to tie in overtime and another plays their best defense of the season to beat the best quarterback in the league. I keep trying to count out the Eagles but with the rest of the division impossible to predict. And then you have the last place team in the division beating the first place team. There is now a three way tie in the NFC East with the top three teams sitting at 5-7 and the Cowboys are only a game out. I am done guessing how the east will play out. Speaking of the Patriots, in a fun twist of fate, the only team in the AFC East who did not win was the division leading Patriots. They don’t have anything to worry about because they are still three games ahead of the Jets and with four games left to play, there is no way they lose the division championship. However, they are sitting behind the Bengals and Broncos; at this point in time, the Patriots don’t even have a first round bye.
- The AFC Wildcard standings are beginning to separate a bit more. The Bills got a big win over the Texans to tie their record at 6-6. The Jets where able to knock off the Giants to get back to their winning ways, and the Chiefs win an explicable sixth straight game for both of them to get to 7-5. Even though the Steelers won big against the Colts, they are still on the outside looking in with plenty of time to gain a game on either the Jets or Chiefs. If you have been paying attention this season, it should be clear there is no way for you to predict how the season will play out.
- The Packers won with one of the most exciting conclusions to a game this season and the Vikings got stomped by the Seahawks allowing Green Bay to take back the top of the division. The problem with the Packers is without a facemask penalty and a one in a hundred last ditch effort play, they lose to the Lions. The Packers still need to make proper changes to make a deep playoff run. I am not clear what happened to the Vikings. I thought the game would be a brilliant defensive game but instead Russell Wilson showed true leadership by winning by 31 points. Adrian Peterson was completely stuffed, only picking up 18 yards on the day. This should alarm the rest of the league that the Seahawks have fixed their early season woes and are ready to make it to a third straight Super Bowl.
- I think with the Falcons falling to the Buccaneers, the collapse is complete. They now sit at a lowly 6-6 where the Giants, Eagles and Bears are only a game away from overtaking them. I don’t want to take away anything from Tampa Bay, they have fought hard to get to 6-6 and now stand to make a real playoff run. The only remaining team with a winning record on their schedule is Carolina who may rest their starters on the final game of the season. If they keep the momentum, they could go 10-6. But that would require the Seahawks to slow down and like I stated above, they are back to true form. I know I said anything is possible, but the Buccaneers over taking the Seahawks for a playoff spot still seems outside the realm of possibility.
- A couple weeks ago I made a point that Cam Newton is not MVP worthy yet. Well I think It’s time I eat my words and say after the last couple of weeks he is the clear favorite. If Brady didn’t fall apart against the Eagles and were able to overtake the Broncos, I still may feel that way. But the Saints offense overpowered a top tier defense and Cam was the leader the Panthers needed. He is making smarter decisions with the ball, although he may be too anxious to run the ball he is keeping everyone on their feet which is how Russell Wilson terrorized the league the last couple years. You can go ahead and crown him now, Cam Newton will be your 2015 MVP in the NFL.